Pride goeth before a fall, it is said.
Monday’s training, the day after the long run, went well. I felt good.
Tuesday – fine.
Wednesday – fartlek. Felt as flat as a tack. Instead of jog/run intervals, it was walk/jog intervals. I just felt tired, and had an overwhelming feeling of CBF.
Thursday – 35 min run, then run walk. Felt good. Medium pace 6:30.
Friday – rest
Sat and sun – meant to be a 10km each day – split long run.
In background (non-running life)
- Setting up trial for PhD
- Trying to get enough sleep, variably
- Trying to eat well, knock off grog, variably
- Being quietly asked by boss not to be late (then feeling completely overwhelmed)
- Increasing pain/discomfort about hips/ITB. Pain around pyriformis/lower back/sacroiliac joint continuous. Ingrown toenail. A bit of a shit sorry shin splint on the left side.
- May have met a nice man……..
- Baby showers, bikini waxes, giving lectures, housemate’s 30th birthday (kept up till 2am Sunday morning…)
Got up early on Saturday, the beginning of a busy weekend, to do a 10 km run. I was tired and everything hurt a bit. I thought, it’s ok, it’s just the warmup. However, I just could not get up the head of steam. I just didn’t feel right. Irritated, I stopped and walked after 5 km.
I was angry with myself. I am sure you all know what goes through the brain.
Then I thought rationally.
a. There is a fine line between a niggle and and injury, and, being a newbie endurance athlete, I don’t necessarily know where that line is, but know I don’t want to cross it.
b. it is far more common for people to have to pull out before the race because of injury than because they are underdone.
c. I am doing super, super well, and I am due a plateau. 😀
d. Life happens. It’s just happening loudly and quickly at the moment.
Sometimes I wonder whether I am biting off more than I can chew. But chewing is a day to day proposition. Most of the time I can, sometimes I can’t.
I had a good chat with a running buddy (he knows who he is) and he made me feel better about this week.
So – this week, a busy week with PhD stuff. I will increase the stretching, strengthening (glute med particularly) and make sure I eat and sleep well. Day by day. Giorno per giorno.